Not everyone can use tooth whitening solution. Circumstances that may prevent the use of tooth whitening product are:
- People with hypersensitive teeth should avoid tooth whitening, because this process may enhance the level of sensitivity they experience.
- Teeth that have restorations , such as veneers or having been bonded with white fillings, cannot be whitened with hydrogen or carbamide peroxide. These materials do not whiten past the color they were originally made. The color of these types of restorations were determined by the surrounding teeth. If the surrounding teeth are whitened, the restorations will stand out and look artificial. Replacing old or discolored restorations will allow you to change their appearance.
- Teeth that have internal staining, discoloration from developmental conditions or have been root canalled may not be affected by the typical whitening process. Internal tooth whitening or permanent restorations may be an option to consider.
- Natural tooth colors that are brown or gray in hue may not produce desired results. Typically, teeth with a yellow hue will produce the best results.
- Pregnant or nursing mothers should avoid whitening their teeth as there is not enough research to determine the safety of tooth whitening products during pregnancy or lactation.
At Southfield Family Dental Center we offer Zoom(R) whitening and take-home whitening trays. Call or email us today to schedule a consultation.